Financial Analyst (FP&A)
Our clients rely on us to help them stay on top of their AWS spend, helping them to better forecast it, understand it, and identify anomalies and areas for improvement.
As a Financial Analyst, you will be on the front line with this challenge, responsible for helping our clients understand, optimize, and forecast their AWS spend. No, you don’t need to be an expert in all-things-AWS (nobody is!), but you’ll be working closely with our technical staff to answer client questions.
You’ll use a variety of tools, ranging from AWS native tools (e.g. Cost Explorer, Cost and Usage Reports, sobbing extensively) to third-party pools (e.g. Tableau, Excel) to tools we write ourselves.
Occasional travel to clients may be required, but we don’t expect it to be common. Most of your work will be done remotely, whether that’s from a coworking space of your choice or from the comfort of your own home.
This is a brand new role for The Duckbill Group, and as our first hire in this role, you’ll have quite a lot of input into how we work and what we provide to clients.
- You are expected to work with a high degree of autonomy. You’ll be largely responsible for interfacing with clients and solving their challenges when it comes to figuring out what’s going on their AWS spend.
- You’ll need to be comfortable with pulling data from multiple sources (SQL databases, AWS S3, CSVs, and more) and aggregating them into something useful.
- Build and maintain analyses and visualizations in Tableau for both our usage and our clients’ use.
- Prepare AWS expense financial reports for clients on a predefined and ad hoc schedule.
- Help clients determine and track KPIs for infrastructure cost (eg, cost per user)
- Assist in maintaining and continually improving all internal documentation on cloud finance and client environments.
- This is a client-facing role. You will be expected to work with clients via email, Slack, phone, and video calls. You can expect to be working with several clients throughout a given week.
Some example projects you’ll do
- We’re currently deploying Tableau Online for internal and client use. You’ll help us get it deployed and then create a series of standard dashboards in Tableau for use by us and our clients.
- Create a nuanced, comprehensive cost model for migrating from multiple data centers to AWS.
- Based on several years of AWS expense data and customer growth data, create a forecast that models future AWS spend.
- At least three years experience in FP&A. Bonus points if you’ve worked with technical teams before (eg, IT).
- Proficiency with Tableau, SQL, and Excel.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
So we’re all perfectly clear, here’s a list of things that very much NOT a requirement:
- You don’t need to know anything about AWS. Really—we’ll teach you that.
- You don’t need to have an MBA (but definitely bonus points if you do).
We look for three things in every candidate: smart, humble, and hungry. That is, we actively seek out people to join us who are emotionally intelligent, desire to build up a better team rather than solely themselves, and passionately pursue goals and outcomes.
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We hire adults. We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We’re an equal opportunity employer and our hiring process is structured to put you at ease and help you demonstrate your best work. If we are doing a poor job of this at any time, please let us know. We hire for strengths, not absence of weakness. Come do great things with us.
We are a fully remote company with team members in San Francisco, Portland, NYC, and more. This position is based in the US and open to applicants in any US state or territory.
We are not venture-funded, and have no intention of becoming so. We’re financed instead by the magic of revenue and profitability.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. In cover letter, tell us why you think you would be a fantastic fit for the role.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience.
We provide a 401(k) with a 100% match up to 6% of your salary. The 401(k) match vests immediately, too.
We provide healthcare, vision, and dental with premiums fully covered by the company.
We provide an allowance of up to $5,000 for setting up your home office, or we’ll cover the cost of a membership at a coworking space.