What exactly does the Duckbill Group do?
As a company, we help people improve their experiences in working with AWS. We do this through our media properties and our boutique consulting practice.
On the Media side of the house, we focus on helping people stay up to date on the latest news in the AWS ecosystem through our newsletter (Last Week in AWS), two podcasts (Screaming in the Cloud and AWS Morning Brief), and public speaking at conferences and vendor events.
On the Consulting side of things, we help companies fix the horrifying AWS bill by making it both smaller and easier to understand. We provide our clients with expert advice and peace-of-mind around their AWS costs.
Benefits & Perks
It’s a rough time out there, so we try our best to take care of our people.
The company covers healthcare at 100% of the premium. Yes, you really don’t pay anything. We believe healthcare is a human right, and until our political leaders come around, we’ll do our part to ensure you’re covered.
The company provides vision insurance and covers 100% of the premium. It’s pretty tough to do your job if you can’t see!
The company provides dental insurance and covers 100% of the premium. Billie’s teeth are great – but don’t worry: he won’t bite.
All employees are eligible for our 401k plan. We also contribute an additional 6% of your salary to your 401k with an immediate vest.
Screwing around with reimbursements just sounds awful, so every employee receives a corporate American Express card. Use it for any business expenses you need, whether it’s travel, meals with clients, software, etc.
All employees expected to be traveling regularly for clients will receive the full complement of travel perks: CLEAR membership, Global Entry & TSA PreCheck, airline lounge membership with the airline of your choice, a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, and even new luggage if you want it.
As we’re a fully-distributed company, your office is where ever you choose for it to be. We want you as comfortable and productive as possible, so we’ll cover the cost of home office setup up to $3,000.
We expect you to keep improving your skills, whether they’re technical or not. We’ll cover the cost of any classes, conferences, etc. you want to do up to $2,000 a year.
We want you at your best and well-rested, so the company provides a standard PTO policy of 15 vacation days per year.
It sucks to work when you’re sick, and sucks even more to take vacation days to recuperate. That’s why the company offers unlimited sick leave to all employees.
Being a new parent is incredibly challenging, and you deserve time with your new kiddo. That’s why the company provides eight weeks of paid parental leave to parents of any gender.
Duckbill provides up to two weeks off in the event of pregnancy loss.
We provide life insurance for all employees, fully-paid by Duckbill.
Duckbill provides both short-term and long-term disability insurance for all employees, fully-paid by Duckbill.
We are a fully remote company with team members in San Francisco, Portland, NYC, and more. We’re a company of nine employees currently and just over three years old. We’re building the company we’d all want to work for. After all, companies are built around people. We’re not in the constant 50+ hour grinds here.
We are not venture-funded and have no intention of becoming so. We’re financed instead by the magic of revenue and profitability.
We believe in a different way of doing consulting.
- We believe there is nothing more important than protecting the client.
- We don’t bill hourly or percent-of-savings, because both create misalignment. Fixed-fee only here.
- We optimize for short, in-and-out engagements over long-term engagements. Our average client engagement lasts only eight weeks.
- We don’t do engineering-level implementation work. We stick to higher-level engagements where our value is clear to everyone.
- We don’t do custom engagements, period. Our consulting services look more like a product than a service, in that they are fixed-scope, defined-outcome, defined-process, and standardized pricing.
We have a lot going for us, too.
- All of our clients come to us by way of referral, our media publications, or organic search.
- We’re very, very well-known. The (in)famous Corey Quinn is our Chief Cloud Economist and cofounder, and has a full-length profile in The New York Times. We’ve been cited or interviewed in dozens of major publications.
- We employ some of the best people in the world at AWS cost management and our recruiting pipeline is strong every time we announce a new opening.
- Our clients love us.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other.
- We hire adults.
- We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback.
- We welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and our hiring process is structured to put you at ease and help you demonstrate your best work. If we are doing a poor job of this at any time, please let us know.
We hire for strengths, not absence of weakness. Come do great things with us.