Cloud Cost Engineer
As a Cloud Cost Engineer, you will be responsible for helping our clients understand and optimize their AWS spend. You will be working both on one-time cost optimization projects and with clients on an ongoing basis. If you’re an SRE/DevOps Engineer, you’ll love this role: your skills in systems architecture will be invaluable, but you won’t have the headache and responsibility of running production systems.
You’ll use a variety of tools, ranging from AWS native tools (e.g. Cost Explorer, Cost and Usage Reports, sobbing extensively) to third-party tools (e.g. Tableau, Cloud Custodian, CloudBeltSander or whatever latest SaaS startup a customer is using) and even tools you write yourself.
Our clients expect us to be deeply engaged experts in AWS, particularly in AWS billing, so you’ll need to do your best to constantly improve your skills in the wild west that is Amazon Web Services. Nobody has this all in their head; it’s a process that never ends.
Beyond helping our clients reduce their AWS spend, you’ll be working on ways to improve cost allocation across all of a client’s infrastructure, improve cost management & governance controls, and work on forecasts/predictive models.
You will be part of a team of other Cloud Economists. What you bring to your team matters just as much as your individual skills. Bringing what you learn and know to support the continual improvement of your teammates is critical for our success with clients.
This is a senior-level role, and you should have a strong grasp of AWS-based systems architecture.
- You are expected to support your clients with a high degree of autonomy, though you won’t be alone–you’ll have a team there to help when you need it.
- Communicate across multiple teams at our clients, from Engineering to Finance, and up to C-Suite staff
- Build and maintain tools to improve our execution of cost optimization projects and Cloud Finance Team
- Assist with maintaining our internal AWS infrastructure as a “testbed” for our client work; note that we have no critical-path infrastructure, so no on-call duties
- Work directly with clients to help them understand their AWS spend and optimize it based on their unique architecture and desired business outcomes
- Keep up to date on the latest AWS news and changes
- Continually work at being an expert in all-things-AWS
- Maintain and improve all internal documentation on cloud finance and client environments
- In case it wasn’t clear, this is a client-facing role. You will be expected to work with clients via email, Slack, and video calls.
- You love taking a data-driven approach to cost management. Rather than make guesses about costs, you dive deep for answers. (In a love triangle with Excel and Python? Yeah, us too.)
- Strong with AWS architecture, concepts, tools, and services.
- Prior experience in AWS cost management.
- US-based, and thus legally authorized to work in the United States (sorry, Legal requires it 🙁 )
- AWS certifications: AWS Solutions Architect: Associate or higher
- Prior experience working in a consultative, client-facing role
We believe that saving our clients money on their cloud infrastructure drives success for their organizations from the highest level of the business down to the individual level of the employee. We strive to make what we do not only relevant, but engaging and lasting within an organization’s culture. We are passionate about proactively helping our Clients take control of their infrastructure spend and gain confidence in their ability to manage and understand it.
We look for three things in every candidate: smart, humble, and hungry. That is, we actively seek out people to join us who are emotionally intelligent, desire to build up the team rather than solely themselves, and passionately pursue goals and outcomes.
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We hire adults. We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We’re an equal opportunity employer and our hiring process is structured to put you at ease and help you demonstrate your best work. If we are doing a poor job of this at any time, please let us know. We hire for strengths, not absence of weakness. Come do great things with us.
We are a fully remote company with team members in San Francisco, Portland, NYC, Boston, and more. Less commute for you, more breath for the planet.
We are not venture-funded, and have no intention of becoming so. We’re financed instead by the magic of revenue and profitability.
To apply, please contact [email protected]
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this role ranges between $120,000 and $140,000 per year. Yes, it’s lower than what you can get working for the latest unicorn, but we aren’t a unicorn. We’re more like your favorite horse–stable, reliable, and no-fuss.
We provide a 401(k) with a 100% match up to 6% of your salary. The 401(k) match vests immediately, too.
We provide healthcare, vision, and dental with premiums fully covered by the company. Of course trans benefits are covered; trans rights are human rights.
Unlimited PTO is often misused to pressure employees into taking less vacation than they should, so we offer an “old-fashioned” PTO policy: 3 weeks of actual PTO, plus unlimited sick leave.
Paid parental leave is challenging for a small company, but being a parent is far more challenging, so we of course offer paid parental leave for new parents of any gender.
We provide an allowance of up to $3,000 for setting up your home office and cover the cost of your home internet service, or we’ll cover the cost of a membership at a co-working space once that’s a thing again that doesn’t require risking your life.
We do not provide equity or stock since we don’t have any intention of selling the company. There will be no multi-million dollar gamble in your future here.